I’m an avid user of Manuka Honey as not only does it taste great but it has a variety of health benefits thanks to its anti inflammatory and infection fighting qualities. It has been proven to be an effective treatment for skin problems including acne and anti ageing and, it is considered to be one of the most beneficial and unique forms of honey in the world.
Manuka Honey comes from New Zealand. The Beekeepers set their hives close to the Manuka tree and the bees pollinate the plants creating Manuka honey! Each jar of Manuka honey is given a unique Manuka percentage factor, this is usually anywhere from 5%-20%. The higher the percentage of Manuka, the more active the honey is and the stronger the antimicrobial quality is of the honey.
Real Foods stock a variety of raw, blended , unblended and organic Manuka Honey in a range of sizes and UMF percentages. There is so much you can do with it so allow me to share with you my 5 top reasons to use Manuka Honey:
- Boosts Immunity – Manuka Honey is full of vitamins and minerals including amino acids, Vitamin B, calcium and magnesium which all help to keep your immune system strong. It is especially good at fighting off colds and coughs when mixed with a warm lemon drink.
- A Remedy For Mild Acne – As mentioned earlier Manuka Honey has antibacterial properties so rubbing a little honey onto the affected area for a few minutes before rinsing off has been shown to help reduce acne over time. It also moisturises and brightens the skin when used in a face mask.
- Aids Your Digestive System – Manuka Honey is really effective when it comes to reducing acid reflux and upset tummies as it’s anti-inflammatory properties help smooth the stomach.
- Improves Sleep Quality- Manuka Honey helps the body release the chemical Melatonin in the brain which is necessary for a deep and comforting sleep. Added to a cup of tea or milk it makes the perfect nightcap!
- Helps Heal Cuts & Burns – Manuka honey has antiseptic features that have the ability to release hydrogen peroxide which is essential for eliminating bacterial activity and aiding healing quickly and effectively.
As you can see, Manuka Honey is extremely useful. It’s full of goodness, tastes delicious and it can be used in many ways!
Leave a comment below if you have used Manuka Honey and let me know what you use it for 🙂